The 5mm Infrared Photodiode is a light-sensitive semiconductor diode designed to convert light energy into voltage or current, depending on its mode of operation. Typically, photodiodes are used in a reverse bias condition, and in this particular model, a black coating is applied to the glass of the photodiode to make it sensitive exclusively to infrared (IR) rays. This photodiode permits the flow of current when exposed to IR radiation and interrupts the current when no IR rays are present. The amount of current passing through the photodiode is directly proportional to the intensity of the incident IR radiation.
- 1 x 5mm Infrared Photodiode
- Effective Length: With a length of 37mm, this photodiode provides an extended surface area for capturing and detecting infrared radiation. The longer length enhances its ability to sense IR rays effectively.
- Compact 5mm Size: The photodiode's small 5mm form factor allows for easy integration into various electronic and sensor applications. Its compact size makes it versatile and suitable for both hobbyist and professional projects.
- Lens Color - Black: The black coating on the lens is a crucial feature. It serves as a filter that allows the photodiode to detect only infrared rays while filtering out other wavelengths of light. This feature is essential for accurate IR sensing and prevents interference from visible light.
- Emitted Color - Infrared: The photodiode is specifically designed to detect and respond to infrared light. This emitted color designation emphasizes its sensitivity to IR wavelengths, making it suitable for a wide range of IR-related applications.
- Wavelength - 940nm: Operating at a wavelength of 940nm, this photodiode is compatible with common IR sources and is optimized for sensitivity to this specific IR range. It ensures reliable and accurate detection of 940nm IR radiation.
- Forward Voltage (V) - 1.2-1.4V: The photodiode operates within a forward voltage range of 1.2V to 1.4V. This voltage range is typical for many photodiodes and ensures efficient performance when incorporated into your circuitry.
- Forward Current (mA) - 100mA: To function optimally, the photodiode requires a forward current of 100mA. This current specification is essential for obtaining reliable and consistent IR sensing results.
- Transmitting and Receiving Distance - 7-8 meters: The photodiode is capable of both transmitting and receiving IR signals over a considerable distance of approximately 7 to 8 meters. This feature makes it suitable for applications involving long-range IR communication, such as remote controls or proximity sensors.
- Size: 5mm
- Length: 37mm
- Lens Color: Black
- Emitted Colour: Infrared
- Wavelength: 940nm
- Forward Voltage (V): 1.2-1.4V
- Forward Current (mA): 100mA
- Transmitting and Receiving Distance: Approximately 7-8 meters