These AVR programmers are a testament to the brilliance of Thomas Fischl's USBasp design, seamlessly connecting to your computer's USB port. Not only do they exhibit a compact form factor, measuring just 70x20mm, but they also boast an elegant and well-thought-out design. The USB interface is achieved through the utilization of an ATmega8 processor, with the remaining functionality expertly managed through firmware. As an Open Source Hardware (OSHW) project, released under the GNU General Public License, these programmers grant you the freedom to access the schematic and firmware directly from Thomas's website. However, a unique dilemma arises: to load the USBASP firmware onto the ATmega8 microcontroller within the programmer, you find yourself needing an AVR programmer. In such cases, opting for a fully built and pre-programmed solution proves to be a much simpler route.
- Versatile Functionality: These programmers offer the flexibility to both read and write microcontroller EEPROM, firmware, fuse bits, and lock bits.
- Cross-Platform Compatibility: They are compatible with Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux, extending their usability to Windows 8.1 as well.
- Impressive Write Speed: With a maximum write speed of 5 KB per second, these programmers facilitate efficient data transfers.
- SCK Control: A software-controlled SCK option is available, ensuring seamless support for targets with low clock speeds, especially those below 1.5MHz.
- 10-Pin ISP Interface: The programmer is equipped with a 10-pin In-System Programming (ISP) interface that adheres to the standard ISP 10-pin pinout.
- Driver Convenience: The latest Windows drivers come fully signed, enabling hassle-free usage on Windows Vista and newer platforms, both 32-bit and 64-bit. For Linux and Mac OS X, no kernel driver is required; simply utilize AVRdude and specify the correct port.
Microcontroller Compatibility: These programmers work harmoniously with a wide array of Atmel AVR microcontrollers, including the Atmega8a and Atmega168a. A comprehensive list of compatible microcontrollers can be found in the specifications tab.
Software Compatibility: They seamlessly integrate with various software applications, including:
- AVRdude (Version 5.2 or later), is available across multiple platforms.
- Khazama AVR Programmer, a user-friendly AVRdude GUI designed for MS Windows.
- BASCOM-AVR (Version 126.96.36.199 or later), providing comprehensive AVR support.
- eXtreme Burner, an intuitive and user-friendly GUI application for MS Windows.
Included Accessories: Each programmer comes with a 10-pin ISP cable, as prominently displayed in the main photo. This makes it an ideal companion for use with our AVR development board and kits, simplifying your microcontroller programming tasks.
- Link to Thomas Fischl's website
- Specifications Tab
- AVRDUDE supports USBasp since version 5.2.
- BASCOM-AVR supports USBasp since version 188.8.131.52.
- Khazama AVR Programmer is a Windows XP/Vista GUI application for USBasp and avrdude.
- eXtreme Burner - AVR is a Windows GUI Software for USB-based USB AVR programmers.