- The VL53L0X is a distance laser measuring module that utilizes time of flight technology to measure the absolute distance to a target. The module contains an infrared laser emitter and a detector, which emits pulses of infrared laser light and measures the time it takes for the light to be reflected back from a nearby object. This allows for precise distance measurements, with a resolution of 1 mm and a maximum range of up to 2 m (6.6 ft).
- The sensor's accuracy is dependent on ambient conditions, target characteristics such as size and reflectance, and the sensor's configuration. The ranging measurements can be accessed through the sensor's I2C interface, which can also be used to configure sensor settings. The sensor also provides two additional pins for Shut Down and Interrupt functions.
- The VL53L0X is a powerful IC, but its small, leadless LGA package can make it difficult for hobbyists and students to use. To address this issue, a breakout board is available that makes it easier to interface the sensor with microcontrollers operating at different voltages.
- Overall, the VL53L0X is a self-contained lidar system that is ideal for applications that require precise distance measurements, such as robotics, drone navigation, and industrial automation.
- Time of Flight (ToF) measurement: The VL53L0X uses Time of Flight technology to measure the time it takes for a laser pulse to travel to an object and back, allowing it to accurately determine the distance to the object.
- High precision: The VL53L0X can measure distances up to 2 meters (6.6 feet) with a resolution of 1mm, making it highly precise.
- Flightsense technology: The sensor uses ST's Flightsense technology to measure the ToF, allowing it to accurately measure distances regardless of the object's reflectivity.
- I2C interface: The sensor can communicate with a microcontroller using the I2C interface, making it easy to integrate into existing projects.
- Interrupt output: The module provides an interrupt output that can be used to indicate when a measurement is complete, allowing for efficient use of the sensor.
- Low power consumption: The VL53L0X has a low power consumption of less than 20mA, making it suitable for use in portable devices.
- Small size: The sensor is contained within a compact module, making it easy to integrate into projects with limited space.
- Wide range of applications: The VL53L0X can be used in a variety of applications, including robotics, industrial automation, drone navigation, security systems, and medical devices.
- Adjustable I2C address: The module has an XSHUT pin that can be used to set the I2C address to the default or an alternate value, allowing for multiple sensors to be used on the same I2C bus.
- Model: VL53L0X
- Working Voltage: 2.6 V – 5.5 V
- Report distance: up to 2 m/6.6 ft
- Resolution: 1 mm
- Pin: VCC, GND, SDA, SCL, GPI01, Xchut
- Pin spacing: 2.54 mm
- Dimension: 25 x 12 Mm
- Robotics: The VL53L0X can be used in robotics to accurately measure the distance between the robot and obstacles, allowing for more precise and safe movement.
- Drone navigation: Drones often require accurate distance measurements for obstacle avoidance and mapping. The VL53L0X can provide these measurements with high precision.
- Industrial automation: The VL53L0X can be used in industrial automation settings to measure the distance between objects on a conveyor belt, for example, or to detect the presence of objects in a manufacturing process.
- Security systems: The VL53L0X can be used in security systems to detect movement and measure the distance between an object and a sensor.
- Medical devices: The VL53L0X can be used in medical devices such as blood glucose meters and breathalyzers to measure the distance between the device and the body.
|This is the power supply pin for the module, and it is recommended to be 2.8V.
|This is the ground pin for the module.
|This pin is used for I2C communication and should be connected to the SCL pin on your microcontroller.
|This pin is also used for I2C communication and should be connected to the SDA pin on your microcontroller.
|This pin is an interrupt output pin and can be connected to an interrupt pin on your microcontroller to indicate when a measurement is complete.
|This pin is used to set the VL53L0X module to a specific I2C address. When high, the module uses the default address; when low, the alternate address is used.
- 1 x Distance Laser Measuring Module Time of Flight Tof VL53L0Xs