The 74HC04 is a type of logic gate known as a NOT gate or inverter. It has one input and one output, and it performs the logical operation of negating the input signal. When the input signal is high, the output signal is low, and vice versa. It is commonly used in digital electronics to invert signals, convert between logic levels, and to generate complementary outputs. The 74HC04 is a popular and widely available IC that is easy to use and can operate at high speeds with low power consumption.
- 1 x Logic Gate NOT (Inverter) 74HC04 IC
- High-speed operation: The 74HC04 is designed for high-speed CMOS operation, with propagation delays typically less than 20 nanoseconds.
- Low power consumption: The 74HC04 is designed to operate with low power consumption, making it suitable for use in battery-powered devices.
- Wide supply voltage range: The 74HC04 can operate with a wide supply voltage range, typically from 2V to 6V.
- Compatibility with other digital ICs: The input and output pins of the 74HC04 are compatible with a wide range of other digital ICs, including both TTL and CMOS logic families.
- Small form factor: The 74HC04 is a small, 14-pin IC that is easy to use and widely available.
- Versatility: The 74HC04 is a versatile IC that can be used in a wide range of digital electronic applications, including inverting signals, converting between logic levels, and generating complementary outputs.
- Low output impedance: The 74HC04 features a low output impedance, which makes it suitable for driving other digital ICs and devices.
- Temperature range: The 74HC04 can operate at temperatures ranging from -40°C to 125°C, making it suitable for use in a wide range of environments and applications.
The 74HC04 is a member of the 74HC family of high-speed CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) logic gates. It is a NOT gate, also known as an inverter, which means that it has one input and one output, and it negates the logical state of the input signal. When the input is high, the output is low, and when the input is low, the output is high. The 74HC04 is a versatile logic gate that is used in a wide range of digital electronic applications. It can be used to invert a signal, convert between logic levels, and generate complementary outputs. In digital systems, it is common to use NOT gates in combination with other logic gates to implement more complex logic functions, such as AND, OR, NAND, and NOR. The 74HC04 is a small, 14-pin IC that is easy to use and widely available. It can operate at high speeds with low power consumption, making it suitable for use in various digital circuits. The input and output pins of the 74HC04 are compatible with a wide range of other digital ICs, and they can be used with both TTL (Transistor-Transistor Logic) and CMOS logic families. The 74HC04 features a wide supply voltage range, typically from 2V to 6V, and can operate at temperatures ranging from -40°C to 125°C. It also features a low output impedance, which makes it suitable for driving other digital ICs and devices.
Principle of Work:
The 74HC04 is a simple inverter or NOT gate. It takes an input signal and produces an inverted version of that signal at its output. The IC contains six independent NOT gates, each with one input and one output. The input to the NOT gate is connected to one of the IC's input pins, while the output is connected to one of the IC's output pins. When the input is high (logic 1), the output will be low (logic 0), and vice versa. This behavior is summarized in the following truth table:
In other words, the truth table shows that the output is always the opposite of the input. When the input is low, the output is high, and when the input is high, the output is low.
Pinout of the Module:
Each 7404 NOT gate IC has 6 NOT gates arranged as shown in the following figure. The 14th pin is the Vcc and the 7th pin is the Ground. The outputs directly interface to CMOS, NMOS, and TTL. It supports wide operating conditions and has a large operating voltage range.
Input pins of the NOT Gate (Inverter)
Output pins of the NOT Gate (Inverter)
Connected to the ground of the system
Powers the IC, typically with +5V
- Signal inversion: As a NOT gate, the 74HC04 is often used to invert or complement digital signals. It can be used to convert a signal that is high into a low or vice versa, depending on the logic level applied.
- Clock signal generation: The IC can be used as an oscillator or clock signal generator. By connecting the output of the NOT gate to its input, the IC can generate a square wave signal with a frequency determined by the input signal.
- Logic level conversion: The 74HC04 can be used to convert logic levels from one voltage level to another. By applying a voltage level that is compatible with the IC's power supply voltage, the IC can convert a signal from a different voltage level to a logic level that can be used by other digital circuits.
- Buffering: The IC can be used as a buffer to isolate one digital circuit from another. By connecting the input of the NOT gate to one circuit and the output to another circuit, the IC can provide a high-impedance interface that isolates the two circuits.
- LED driving: The IC can be used to drive LEDs or other loads that require a digital signal. By connecting an LED and a current limiting resistor to the output of the NOT gate, the IC can provide a signal that turns the LED on and off.
This is how an inverter chip can be used to switch the logic states of active low devices like an infrared proximity sensor switch. When the sensor detects an object, it outputs a low signal, which can be problematic for devices that are triggered by high voltage. By using an inverter, the logic state of the device can be switched to active high, making it compatible with other devices. This is why inverters are essential in such situations.
No library is needed to work with the IC.
- Supply voltage: 2 to 6 volts
- High-level input voltage (VIH): 2 volts minimum
- Low-level input voltage (VIL): 0.8 volts maximum
- High-level output voltage (VOH): 4.4 volts minimum (VCC = 4.5 to 5.5 volts)
- Low-level output voltage (VOL): 0.1 volts maximum (VCC = 4.5 to 5.5 volts)
- Input current: +/- 20 mA
- Output current: +/- 5 mA
- Propagation delay time: 11 ns maximum (VCC = 2 volts, CL = 15 pF)
- Operating temperature range: -40°C to 85°C
- Package type: DIP
The 74HC04 and 74LS14 are both types of inverter ICs, but they have some differences in their specifications and characteristics:
- The 74HC04 is a CMOS-based IC that operates with a voltage range of 2V to 6V, while the 74LS14 is a TTL-based IC that operates with a voltage range of 4.75V to 5.25V. This means that the 74HC04 can operate at lower voltages and has a wider operating range.
- The 74HC04 has a higher input resistance and lower power consumption compared to the 74LS14. It also has a faster propagation delay time, which means it can switch between logic states more quickly. The 74LS14, on the other hand, has a higher output current and higher noise immunity, making it more suitable for noisy environments.
- In terms of power consumption, the 74LS14 consumes more power than the 74HC04. This means that the 74HC04 is more power-efficient and may be a better choice for low-power applications.